Two field experiments on okra (Cv: Shakti) were conducted, at Nathapatti (I season : July 2012 to October 2012) and Pazhayasukkampatti (II season : December 2012 to March 2013) of Tamil Nadu to evaluate the safety of new formulation Emamectin benzoate 5 WG at different doses (100, 125 and 150 g/ha) against the standard check, Emamectin benzoate 5 SG (135 and 170 g/ha), Lambda cyhalothrin 5 CS (300 ml/ha) and Pyridalyl 10 EC at 500 ml/ha for their safety to coccinellid predators in okra eco-system. Observation on the population of coccinellid was recorded prior to spraying and at 5 and 10 days after each spraying from ten randomly selected plants in each replication and untreated check. The results showed that Emamectin benzoate 5 WG was found to be safer to coccinellidat all concentrations tested. The highest population recorded in plots treated with Emamectin benzoate 5 WG at 100 g/ha followed by Emamectin benzoate 5 WG at 125 g/ha, respectively.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Acharya, S., H.P. Mishra and D. Dash. 2002. Efficacy of insecticides against okra jassid, Amrasca biguttula biguttula Ishida. Annals of Plant Protection Sciences,10: 230-232.
- Ajanta Biraii. and Raghuraman, M. 2011. Impact of Emamectin benzoate on fruit and shoot borer, Earias vitella (Fabricius) in okra. Indian Journal of Entomology, 73 (1): 42-44.
- Anwar Ruly, 2008. Population dynamics of the cotton aphid, Aphis gossypii Glover (Homoptera: Aphididae), and its fungal pathogen, Neozygites fresenii (Nowakowski) Batko (Entomophthorales: Neozygitaceae), in South Carolina, Ph.D. Thesis, Clemson University, United states, p.142.
- Aulakh, S.S., H.S. Randhawa and R.S. Bal. 2012. Efficacy of Emamectin benzoate against fruit borer, Earias vittella (Fabricius) and jassid, Amrasca biguttula biguttula (Ishida) in okra. Journal of Insect Science, 25 (1): 73-75.
- Gomez, K.A. and Gomez, A.A. 1984. Statistical Procedure for Agricultural Research. John Wiley and Sons, New York.
- Govindan, K., K. Gunasekaran and S. Kuttalam. 2012. Field evaluation of emamectin benzoate 5 SG against coccinellid predators in okra ecosystems. Journal of Plant Protection and Environment, 9 (2): 5-11.
- INDIA STAT. 2015. (http://www.indiastat.com).
- Jyoti D. P. and K. Goudbasavana. 2008. Safety of organic amendments and microbial pesticides to natural enemies in brinjal ecosystem, Annals of Plant Protection Sciences, 16:123-127.
- Kuttalam, S., N. Boomathi, B. Vinothkumar, N. Kumaran and D. S Rajathi. 2008. Field efficacy emamectin benzoate 5 EC against okra fruit borer, Earias vittella (Fab.). Pestology, 32(3):32- 36.
- Lasota, J.A. and R.A. Dybas, 1991. Avermectins: A novel class of compounds: Implications for use in arthropod pest control. Annual Review of Entomology, 36: 91-117.
- Mani, M., A. Krishnamoorthy and C. Gopalakrishnan, 2005. Biological control of lepidopterous pests of Horticultural crops in India. Annual Review of Agricultural Research, 26 (1): 39-49.
- Parthiban, P., R.K. Murali Baskaran and K. Thangavel. 2014. Bio - efficacy of Emamectin Benzoate 5 WG against Tobacco Caterpillar and Diamondback Moth in Cabbage. Pesticide Research Journal, 26 (2): 175–180.
- Parthiban, P., R.K. Murali Baskaran and K. Thangavel. 2014. Field efficacy of Emamectin benzoate 5 WG against lepidopteran pests of Okra. Annals of Plant Protection Sciences, 22 (1): 98–102.
- Sharma,S.S. and H.D. Kaushik. 2010. Effect of Spinosad (a bioinsecticide) and other insecticides against pest complex and natural enemies on eggplant (Solanum melongena L.) Journal of Entomological Research, 34: 94 -98.
- Sharma, R.P., R. Yadav and R.Singh, 1991. Relative toxicity of some insecticides against the field population of bean aphid (Aphis craccivora Koch.) and safety to the associated aphidophagous coccinellid complex occurring on Lathyrus, lentil and chickpea crops. Journal of Entomological Research, 15 (4): 251-259.
- Srinivasa Rao and R. Rajendran, 2003. Joint action potential of neem with other plant extracts against the leaf hopper Amrasca devastan (Distant) on Okra. Pest Management and Zoology, 10: 131-136.
- Udikeri, S.S., S.B. Patil, V. Rachappa and B.M. Khadi. 2004. Emamectin benzoate 5 SG, a safe and promising bio rational against cotton bollworms. Pestology, 28 (6): 78-81.
- Yogesh Patel, H., B. Sharma and S.B. Das. 2009. Emamectin benzoate 5% WSG: a safer insecticide for cotton bollworm complex management, CICRNewsletter, 25: 34-37.