The experiment was conducted with the objective of estimating the genetic variability and the path coefficient analysis for yield and yield related traits of 45 newly released rice genotypes at the research field of Council for Scientific and Industrial Research – Crops Research Institute in Sokwai, Kumasi. The Genotypic Coefficient of Variation (GCV) were lower than the Phenotypic Coefficient of Variation (PCV) for all the traits indicates the influence of environment on the traits. The GCV and PCV value ranged from 0.95% to 12.93% and 2.95% to 78.50%, respectively. Panicle length recorded moderate heritability together with moderate genetic advance which suggests that they can be improved through direct selection due to predominant additive variation and indicating that a moderate level of genetic variability is present in these characters. Positive and direct effect was exhibited by the plant height, tiller number per plant, plot weight before winnowing on the grain yield as important traits to be considered during selection and improvement programmes.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
- Abebe, T., Alamerew, S., & Tulu, L. (2019). Traits association and path coefficient analysis of yield and related traits in rainfed lowland rice (Oryza sativa L.) genotypes in North Western Ethiopia. African Journal of Plant Science, 13(1), 1-8.
- Acquaah, G. (2009). Principles of plant genetics and breeding. John Wiley & Sons.
- Ahmadizadeh, M., Shahbazi, H., Valizadeh, M., & Zaefizadeh, M. (2011). Genetic diversity of durum wheat landraces using multivariate analysis under normal irrigation and drought stress conditions. African Journal of Agricultural Research, 6(10), 2294-2302.
- Allard, R. W. (1961). Principles of plant breeding. Soil Science, 91(6), 414.
- Babu, V. R., Shreya, K., Dangi, K. S., Usharani, G., & Nagesh, P. (2012). Genetic variability studies for qualitative and quantitative traits in popular rice (Oryza sativa L.) hybrids of India. International Journal of Scientific and Research Publications, 2(6), 1-5.
- Bello, O. B., Ige, S. A., Azeez, M. A., Afolabi, M. S., Abdulmaliq, S. Y., & Mahamood, J. (2012). Heritability and genetic advance for grain yield and its component characters in maize (Zea mays L.). Interna-tional Journal of Plant Research, 2(5), 138-145.
- Dewey, D. R., & Lu, K. (1959). A Correlation and Path?Coefficient Analysis of Components of Crested Wheatgrass Seed Production 1. Agronomy journal, 51(9), 515-518.
- FAO. (2020). FAOSTAT database collections. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.URL: http://faostat.fao.org
- FAOSTATS. (2012). FAOSTAT database collections. Food and Agricul-ture Organization of the United Nations.URL: http://faostat.fao.org
- Gour, L., Koutu, G. K., Singh, S. K., Patel, D. D., Shrivastava, A., & Singh, Y. (2017). Genetic variability, correlation and path analyses for selection in elite breeding materials of rice (Oryza sativa L.) genotypes in Madhya Pradesh. The Pharma Innovation Journal, 6(11), 693-696.
- Idahosa, D. O., Alika, J. E., & Omoregie, A. U. (2010). Genetic variability, heritability and expected genetic advance as indices for yield and yield components selection in cowpea (Vigna unguiculata (L) Walp). Academia arena, 2(5), 22-26.
- International Rice Research Institute. (2013). Rice Almanac, source book for the most important economic activity on earth. Third edition. Maclean J. L, Dawe D. C, Hardy B, Hettel G. P. (editors) Interna-tional Rice Research Institute, Manila, Philippines. pp. 1–253.
- Johnson, H. W., Robinson, H. F., & Comstock, R. E. (1955). Estimates of genetic and environmental variability in soybeans 1. Agronomy journal, 47(7), 314-318.
- Kampe, A. K., Tassew, A. A., & Gezmu, A. T. (2018). Estimation of phenotypic and genotypic correlation and path coefficients in rainfed upland rice (Oryza sativa L.) genotypes at Guraferda, Southwest Ethiopia. Journal of Rice Research and Developments, 6, 195.
- Kiani, G., & Nematzadeh, G. (2012). Correlation and path coefficient studies in F2 populations of rice. Notulae Scientia Biologicae, 4(2), 124-127.
- Kumar, V., Singh, A., Mithra, S. A., Krishnamurthy, S. L., Parida, S. K., Jain, S., ... & Mohapatra, T. (2015). Genome-wide association mapping of salinity tolerance in rice (Oryza sativa). DNA re-search, 22(2), 133-145.
- Manonmani, S., & Khan, A. F. (2003). Analysis of genetic diversity for selection of parents in rice. Oryza, 40(3/4), 54-56.
- Milligan, S. B., Gravois, K. A., Bischoff, K. P., & Martin, F. A. (1990). Crop effects on broad?sense heritabilities and genetic variances of sugarcane yield components. Crop science, 30(2), 344-349.
- MoFA (2009). Ministry of Food and Agriculture, Ghana.
- Nayak, S., Prasanna, R., Pabby, A., Dominic, T. K., & Singh, P. K. (2004). Effect of urea, blue green algae and Azolla on nitrogen fixation and chlorophyll accumulation in soil under rice. Biology and fertility of soils, 40(1), 67-72.
- Osman, K. A., Mustafa, A. M., Ali, F., Yonglain, Z., & Fazhan, Q. (2012). Genetic variability for yield and related attributes of upland rice ge-notypes in semi-arid zone (Sudan). African Journal of Agricultural Research, 7(33), 4613-4619.
- Padmaja, D., Radhika, K., Subba Rao, L. V., & Padma, V. (2008). Studies on variability, heritability and genetic advance for quantitative characters in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Journal of Plant Genetic Re-sources, 21(3), 196-198.
- Panse, V. G. (1957). PV Su hatme: Statistical Methods for Agricultural Workers. ICAR, New Delhi.
- Robinson, H. F., Comstock, R. E., & Harvey, P. H. (1949). Estimates of heritability and the degree of dominance in corn. Agronomy journal, 353- 359.
- Seck, P. A., Touré, A. A., Coulibaly, J. Y., Diagne, A., & Wopereis, M. C. (2013). Africa’s rice economy before and after the 2008 rice cri-sis. Realizing Africa’s rice promise, 24-34.
- Shrivastava, D., Singhai, A. K., & Yadav, R. K. (2014). Effect of lime and rice husk ash on engineering properties of black cotton soil. International Journal of Engineering Research & Technolo-gy, 3(2), 292-296.
- Sidhya, P., Koundinya, A. V. V., & Pandit, M. K. (2014). Genetic variabili-ty, heritability and genetic advance in tomato. Environment and Ecology, 32(4B), 1737-1740.
- Sivasubramanian, S., & Menon, M. (1973). Heterosis and inbreeding depression in rice. Madras Agric. J, 60(7), 1139-1140.
- STAR v. Statistical tools for agricultural research (2014). Biometrics and breeding informatics, PBGB division, international rice research in-stitute, Los Baños, Laguna.
- Uguru, M. I. (2005). Crop genetics and breeding. 2nd edition, Ephrata Press, Nsukka.
- Yang, P., Li, X., Wang, X., Chen, H., Chen, F., & Shen, S. (2007). Pro-teomic analysis of rice (Oryza sativa) seeds during germina-tion. Proteomics, 7(18), 3358-3368.